LIV Golf Tournament Schedule 2023
In 2022, LIV Golf debuted, causing a major shakeup in professional golf. With the launch of the league, players had a viable alternative to the PGA Tour that featured large payouts and a new approach to the sport. Since the end of the 2022 season, people have been anticipating the LIV Golf schedule 2023 announcement, curious to see where events would be held and when they would take place. Now that we finally have the LIV Golf tournament schedule for this year, let's explore it and take a look at how the league is helping golf evolve.
Overview of LIV Golf
Before we get into the LIV Golf schedule, a quick recap of what the league is and how it started is beneficial. After all, many golf fans have heard of it, but still may not be sure exactly what it is. In 2019, the idea for a second pro golf league called the Premier Golf League came about. The influx of cash made it possible for the league to launch under the newly selected name LIV.
The mission of LIV Golf is twofold. First, the league seeks to make the sport more interesting to a younger generation of viewers who might then feel inspired to play the game for themselves. This stems from concerns that many aspects of golf from the style of dress to the slow pace and quiet mood of televised tournaments just don't appeal to younger people. The second mission of the league is to provide more opportunities for players. LIV Golf events have larger purses and bigger payouts, allowing pros to take home more money.
In addition to offering larger payouts, LIV Golf has a much different format than PGA tournaments. Instead of individual competition, players are broken into teams. Twelve teams are slated to compete on the 2023 LIV Golf tour schedule. This format allows fans to choose a favorite team and root for them throughout the season, much like they do for other professional sports like football and baseball. Shotgun starts at tournaments also mean everyone starts playing at once, so tournaments happen at a faster pace and are more exciting to watch.
Key Events and Venues in the LIV Tour Schedule 2023
The LIV tour schedule is already underway with events like LIV Golf Tucson and LIV Golf Singapore having already taken place. At the time of writing, the most recent event was LIV Golf Tulsa, held at Cedar Ridge Country Club from May 12 to May 14. The team Stinger GC led by Dustin Johnson came out on top at the event.
Here are the remaining tournaments that fans can look forward to for the rest of the year:
- LIV Golf DC: May 26 to May 28 at Trump National Golf Club
- LIV Golf Valderrama: June 30 to July 2 at Real Club Valderrama in Spain
- LIV Golf London: July 7 to 9 at the Centurion Club in the UK
- LIV Golf Greenbrier: August 4 to 6 at The Old White at Greenbrier in White Sulfur Springs, West Virginia
- LIV Golf Bedminster: August 11 to 14 at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, New Jersey
- LIV Golf Chicago: September 22 to 25 at Rich Harvest Farms
- LIV Golf Miami: October 20 to 22 at Trump National Doral
- LIV Golf Jeddah: November 3 to 5 at Royal Greens Golf and Country Club in Saudi Arabia
Some venues for LIV Golf 2023 events may be familiar to golf fans. For instance, the Greenbrier was home to a golf tournament from 2010 to 2019. Interestingly, LIV players Joaquin Niemann and Kevin Na both won on the course previously, and fans are eager to see if their familiarity with the course will give players an advantage. In addition to courses that PGA Tour fans are accustomed to, the LIV tournament schedule also offers an opportunity to see players compete in new places, such as Spain and Saudi Arabia.
Players to Watch in the 2023 LIV Golf Season
Among the players competing in 2023, there are several standouts that fans will want to watch closely. They include:
- Phil Mickelson: Previously won 45 PGA tournaments, including three Masters, two PGA Championships and one Open
- Dustin Johnson: Two-time Majors winner who broke the record at the 2020 Masters with a score of 268, 20-under-par
- Brooks Koepka: Became the first player ever to hold back-to-back titles at two Majors simultaneously with wins at the U.S. Open and PGA Championship in 2018 and 2019. Koepka most recently won the 2023 PGA Championship, becoming just the 20th golfer ever to win 5 or more majors.
- Cameron Smith: Winner of five PGA tournaments, including the 2022 Open and the 2022 Players Championship
Fans should also keep an eye on Talor Gooch. Although not as well-known as many of the players, he's having a stellar year, coming in on top at both LIV Golf Adelaide and Singapore. Other top players from the season so far include Charles Howell III, who had the best score at LIV Golf Mayakoba and Danny Lee who led at LIV Golf Tucson. Notably, Koepka was the top-ranked player at the 2023 LIV Golf Orlando Tournament while Dustin Johnson topped the leaderboard at LIV Golf Tulsa.
Be a Part of Golf's Next Chapter
LIV Golf marks a major change in golf and has plans to continue recruiting more top players and add additional teams in the future. Already, the league is disrupting the sport, causing the PGA to raise payouts on multiple tournaments. Even if you don't have a favorite team in the league, it's worth following LIV Golf's 2023 season, as it's likely to become a milestone in golf history as LIV is on a mission to permanently change the sport.
At Devereux, we have a mission of our own—bringing fashion to the world of golf. We design golf apparel and accessories that range from classic styles you might see on the course during a PGA tournament to more contemporary looks inspired by streetwear trends that would look at home on LIV Golf players. Whatever your personal style is, you can find golf clothing and accessories that will allow you to express yourself and play your best. Shop our New Arrivals to see our latest pieces.
Leave a comment